Adela A. Phillis

August 30, 1936 - April 4, 2012
Simpson Funeral & Cremation Services
1119 Washington Avenue
MONACA, PA 15061
Monday 4/9
St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church
115 Trinity Drive
Tuesday 4/10, 10:00 am
Beaver Cemetery
Third and Buffalo Streets
BEAVER, PA 15009

Adela Phillis, 75, of Center Twp., passed away Wednesday evening, April 4, 2012, at Kindred Hospital, Beaver after a lengthy illness. She grew up in Freedom, PA, the only child of Veronica and John Ribar. Adela graduated from nurses training from Providence Hospital in Beaver Falls in 1957 and worked as an RN until becomingContinue Reading

Plant a tree in memory of Adela A.
An environmentally friendly option.
Larry Phillis left a message on April 12, 2012:
Over the past few years I undertook the task of cleaning out my parent’s attic. It’s not that big of an attic but it’s legitimately taken me years to go through everything. There was a lot of stuff packed in there. Like my dad says, for 50 years we brought stuff in, but never threw stuff out. I knew some of the things I’d find, but couldn’t even imagine the other. I likened the whole experience to urban archaeology with its own rules for the ‘dig.’ Like , instead of carbon dating, I used saved calendars and expired coupons to narrow sections down. My mother was a saver. She saved money by using about a third of the coupons she cut out. She saved the rest of the coupons in paper- clipped together stacks, which in turn were saved with stacks of currently important papers, which eventually found their way into boxes and carried to the attic … and stored in reverse chronological order. In front were the most recent memories. Mostly, Grandchildren. Roughly 20 years of programs from plays, chorus concerts and dance school recitals. An album full of photos of all five from when they were babies. Tokens, drawings and booklets from Grand Parents day at schools. She hated to miss any event. My mother was a big fan. She was a big fan of her Grandchildren, just like for years, she’d been the biggest fan of her four boys. When I played basketball, or soccer and even later when I started the sketch comedy, she was my biggest fan, hardly ever missing a show or a chance to brag to anyone who would listen. In the late 90s, I wrote and performed in a weekly sketch comedy show called Comarama. I found every program in a neatly tied bundle. I found the programs from every football game from Dan’s senior year, along with the picture-pins and ribbons she proudly wore to every game. I found what every token and brochure from when Tom went to Notre Dame, all packed into, of course, a plastic bag from the Notre Dame book store, and stored next to her Parent Diploma, thanking her for her four years of support. If you ever heard her talk about Andy’s goalie days, you could tell in the pride in her voice who was his biggest fan. She bragged about Andy and Dan both playing hockey, and how all five of her men, my dad included, became huge fans of hockey a sport she introduced us to. A sport she learned to love in the old Pittsburgh Hornet days when her dad, a sports writer, took her to work. The multiple scrap books I found full of pictures and articles tell a certain tale, but I remember this: Dan and his friend Roger stopped by the house one night while the rest of us were watching a Pens game. As play went on my mother casually said, “That’s off side.” Sure enough, the whistle blew, the linesman called it, the announcers announced it, and Roger turned amazed and said, “How did she know that?” How did she know that? She taught us. In the 70s section of the dig, I found a diary style calendar from 1978. I turned randomly and read a day: I don’t’ remember the details of the entries, but I remember that I had to be at a basketball game, and at the same time, Dan was going someplace else, Tom somewhere else and Andy, too. Where didn’t really matter, what mattered was, not only did my parents have to split up, and decide who would take who to what event, they had to organize it down to the hour, perhaps the half hour of when they would need to pick one up and get the other there, and that’s not even counting eating dinner. That’s a lot of stuff packed into one day. And that was only one day. And they did that for years and years. That’s a lot of planning and getting us to and from here and there packed into those years. My mother loved it. She lived for her boys. Back in the 70s, I found our big two room tent. My mother loved camping. My dad tells the story about the first time he was going camping. My mom didn’t want to go. But my dad said we have boys, we have to do boy things so he was going. The night before they were leaving, Mom changed her mind. She would go. I’m guessing she didn’t want to miss something important. She didn’t. And that decision changed her life. As soon as the trip was over, she began planning the next one. And throughout our childhoods, she planned dozens and we packed a lot of adventure into those simple trips. Although she did tell my dad once, she likes everything about camping except the sleeping part. And my dad said, “That’s not camping that’s a picnic.” My dad’s funny. So was my mother. I don’t think you could know any of us without knowing that. We get it honestly from both sides of the family. I knew my mother was funny, because I knew her when she was at home, comfortable. In public, she didn’t command the spotlight. We were her spotlight. But in the attic, I uncovered boxes and boxes transferred from my grandmother’s attic, where I found stuff from my mother before she was my mother: yearbooks and class pictures from high school, and Nurses Training – Oh, yea, my mother was a nurse – where to a person, her friends’ inscriptions on the pictures and yearbooks told how funny she was. These are the people who would know. Who still knew, because my mother kept in touch, even organized a Nurses reunion a few years back. Every single one attended. I bet they laughed. I’ll tell you the last funny thing I remember my mom doing. She was in the hospital, tubes sticking out, tracheotomy preventing her from speaking, and a large puffy glove on her left hand because she had a tendency to grab her hoses and pull. I said, “That looks like a boxing glove. Are going to box me?” And she reached out, almost in slow motion and bopped me in the nose. In different decades, I found a lot of bowling material. My mother was the secretary of her league for many years, and in those year, she made friendships that lasted the rest of her life. Friendships she can still count now. She served on the Beaver County Bowling Associations Board of Directors for years, including going on a trip by herself to Wisconsin to attend a Future Leaders conference. When she was first asked to go, she didn’t want to. But, like the camping, she didn’t want to miss the opportunity. So, she did it. She overcame her fear of flying and loved it. Listening to the story from her point of view, you could tell it was one of the most rewarding experiences of her life. She wrote the Bowling Association newsletter for years. It was a time consuming, difficult task that she undertook with a passion. She loved it. She was proud of it. We were proud of her, for serving, for flying and for being a writer. My mother was a writer. Deeper in the attic I found snippets of short stories and even a draft of a book she’d written. In the 60s and early 70s era of the attic, I found tons of Cub Scout material. My mother volunteered as a Den mother. I found copies of homemade programs from dinners and events, stories for meetings, and folders full of activities, games and anything that might be useful for Cub Scouts, because that’s how my mother was. When she was in, she was all in. She loved those kids. And those kids loved her too. While she was in the hospital this last time, my brother ran into a doctor, who had been one of those cub scouts. When he found out my mom was in the CCU he didn’t hesitate. He stopped whatever he was doing and he went to her room to see her. That’s the kind of effect of my mother had on people. That’s the kind of effect she had on us. I don’t have time to tell you about all of the 50 years worth of stuff packed in there. That’s a lot of stuff. I don’t have the time to tell you about all the books I found, because she instilled a love of reading in four boys. I don’t have the time to tell you about all the picnics we went on because she took the time to prepare them and us before my dad came home from work. I don’t have time to show you all the pictures and the souvenirs she’d collected as a child when, before she was 6 years old, she’d been in 18 states. I don’t have time to tell you about all the bags of yarn, and how my mother crocheted. She made an afghan for each grandchild when they were born, just like she’d done for each one of us when we graduated from high school. We each picked our own color and design and she made them. Because back in those days I considered myself a budding rock star, I asked for mine to be a British Flag. If you know anything about crocheting and that flag you would know that triangles and diagonal lines were near impossible. But with the help of my dad, they designed each piece with graph paper, and she did it. When it came to her kids, she would find a way. My mom lived for her boys. And in the end, when the three of us met to start our struggle to make the hardest decision that any child could have to make, before we had to decide if and when to terminally wean her from the ventilator, she died. We believe she died to save us the pain of making that decision because that’s how my mother lived. In that attic, I found that my mother was funny and fun. She was smart and sweet, and loveable and loving and warm and genuine. She was creative and dedicated. She loved her family, she loved her husband and her kids, her grandkids and her extended family and her friends, who were like family. She loved them all, and we loved her. Some of these things I knew, some I forgot but remembered rummaging around that attic and some I never knew. Most importantly, what I found in that attic was the same thing I found out about her life: there was a lot of stuff packed in there.
Guy & Darla (Metts) Bonnay left a message on April 9, 2012:
We were sorry to hear of Del's passing, and we know that this is a very difficult time for your family. Please know that we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
David Sutter left a message on April 9, 2012:
Tom, Your family and you have my deepest condolences in the passing of your mother.
Jon and Ursula Phillis left a message on April 8, 2012:
Conrad, Ursula and I offer our sincere condolences for you loss. We loved Del and have some fond memories of the brief times we spent with her over the years. She was a warm and loving sister-in-law. We will not be able to attend the funeral this week. But I want to share with you a few personal details of my visit with Del last Sunday, three days before she passed away. Although she was not able to talk, we did communicate. I held her hand, rubbed her arm and stroked her hair while talking to her. I recall two instances where she acknowledged my presence. On those instances, we had eye contact and she nodded her head yes and squeezed my hand when asked if she knew that Jon was visiting her. At the end of my visit, I kissed her on the forehead and told her I loved her. It was one the saddest yet beautiful experiences of my life. I am so, so glad that I made the trip. We love you – hope to talk to you soon.
Shirley Golletti Bentel left a message on April 8, 2012:
I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Adele--I was in her nursing class and knew her from St. Felix prior to our studies--She was a wonderful person--always ready to lend an ear and help in any way she could..I know she is going to be missed by all that knew her. God bless the family and know she is in a good place.
Planning ahead is prudent. Call us now.
Diana Boyce left a message on April 8, 2012:
Dear Dan and Family, I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. May all the wonderful memories comfort you during this sad time. My deepest sympathy. Diana
Raymond & Sally Rosepinkl left a message on April 8, 2012:
So Sorry to hear of Del's passing...She was a truly wonderful person who you could tell anything to...truly sweet and caring... We are sending this condolence from our Son's house near Lancaster, PA, who we are visiting for the holiday...Again, dear family members, Peace and Love to all....
Bernadette *Lucente* Wilson left a message on April 7, 2012:
May I begin by saying that as loving "neighborhood" mothers go, she is definitely at the head of the line! So many fond memories of Mrs. Phillis. She sure loved her family, it was written all over her face. God's strength to the whole family. She is home! With Sympathy, Bernie
Dee Kammermeier left a message on April 7, 2012:
Del was a beloved member of the 1957 nursing class of Providence Hospital. we were a small close group of girls who worked hard and laughed hard. many of those laughs were because of Del who had a wonderful sense humor. we shared so much that no other people on earth came claim what we few had in common. it was a sisterhood of seeing each other through 3 years. my first memory of Del was her coming to my room and making me come out to join the other girls of something I don't know what but she was the memory. when I was in high school I was called Del and she said, well that is my name you will be Dee and it has been that since. I remember when she was seeing Con and how they would sit on my mother's front porch with eyes only for each other. a beautiful thing to see. We love you and will miss you dreadfully Love Dee and I know from all the others of our group who are crying tonight
Simpson Funeral Home left a message:
Please accept our deepest condolences for your family's loss.
Show More